Geometric Spikes – Mesh from GEO-Editor. Rendered in Blender 2.79.
I watched one of Lynda.com’s mini documentaries today about the Geometric Art of Bradley G Munkowitz (aka GMUNK). It pointed me to a web app he uses called GEO Editor which he created in collaboration with Marcin Ignac.
He creates geometric shapes, exports them as OBJ files and renders them in Maya – often from the inside. I decided to give it a go with Blender instead of Maya and it’s quite fun.
I even made a 360 from inside one of the spike shapes. They spikes look like starfishes – https://kuula.co/post/7PJZV 🙂
Anyone who enjoys playing with things like Structure Synth will enjoy messing around with this. It’s great that they shared it with everyone.
GEO Editor link with GMUNK examples: http://marcinignac.com/projects/geo-editor/
GEO Editor screen capture
This post is an aide-memoire for myself more than anything else. I was playing with the Strange Attractor Blender Add-on a few days ago and wanted a simple way to remember which attractor I had used in each render. After reading quite a lot of forum posts, here’s the method I used. I doubt it’s the most efficient and some of the steps might not even be essential, but it’s what worked for me. Continue reading
Another quick Blender render of an original Structure Synth script.
For my 51st ‘pic of the day’ for 2018, I was inspired by the famous Photo 51 to have a go at creating a strand of DNA in Structure Synth.
More adventures in Structure Synth, rendered in Blender.
Continuing from the Building Blocks experiment, I created a new Structure Synth script for a building shape, with the aim of parameterising the script in Blender.
I’ve been struggling to write my own eisenscripts in the Blender Sverchok GA Node XML format, so I finally downloaded the original Structure Synth and had a play with that. It was a good move and I think I’m finally starting to understand how to approach writing new scripts.
My first script is an attempt at creating a series of buildings.
Today’s experimentation with Sverchok’s GA Node was using the Matrix Apply node before the Viewer Draw node. This node takes the GA matrix output and merges it into one big matrix – which means when you hit bake on the Draw node, the result is one Blender object rather than hundreds of separate ones.
I mentioned in the Translating Nabla post that I’ve been using Elfnor‘s Eisenscript-to-XML python script to quickly translate Structure Synth Eisenscript files into the XML format needed for the Sverchok Generative Art node.
After various attempts, I’ve come up with a set of rules to prepare a Structure Synth Eisenscript for the XML translator to avoid the dreaded, “I don’t understand the eisenscript” message.
Today’s Sverchok Generative Art node picture is based on the Synctor script on Flickr.